Let CM Comment on Fate of TAED, Says Mayor
With news reports circulating about the axing of the mega-development project Tanjung Aru Eco Development (TAED), Kota Kinabalu City Hall Mayor Datuk Yeo Boon Hai has urged reporters to wait for the Chief Minister to comment on the fate of TAED.
Apologizing to reporters for not commenting on the project at the City Hall's Hari Raya Aidilfitri celebration on Wednesday, 27 June, Yeo declined to further comment on the issue.
Meanwhile, Tanjung Aru assemblyman Junz Wong, who had been avidly fighting against the project, said that the TAED will not be proceeding and that the public beach will be returned to the city hall. Upgrading and beautifying works on the Tanjung Aru beach were also reported to be on the way.
He said he would also work with City Hall to promote cleanliness awareness among patrons visiting the recreation area.
"There will be more bins and higher penalties" he said on litterbugs.
Many people are still concerned about the project on whether it would later be allowed to proceed, as the Chief Minister himself had not come out to make an announcement on its status.
The Tanjung Aru site, which was taken over by TAED, was left in a mess after buildings and structures were torn down to make way for the project reclamation works set to start in April last year.
The development project would cover some 340 hectares, with resort hotels, residential areas, marinas, entertainment venues, beach clubs and dining areas in its development plans.
The existing Prince Philip Park was set to become a rainforest park, where it would accommodate a promenade, walking and cycling tracks and an ecology centre.