The Sabah government has been accused of causing confusion over the water supply in the state by former chief minister, Yong Teck Lee.
According to him, Infrastructure Development Minister Peter Anthony had explained that due to dry weather, there was disruption to the water supply in some parts of Sabah although the Water Department said there was enough water in dams and rivers to last another two months.
Further more, there was a state by Water and Natural Resources Minister Xavier Jayakumar who listed on Sunday six states facing water supply problems due to the dry spell, except Sabah.
Sabah Water Department director Amarjit Singh had then assured earlier this month that the state has enough water to last about two months.
To justify the confusion, Yong claims the state government was using the dry spell to reason for the building of the mega dam in Papar.
The construction of the RM2 billion dam would start next year according to Anthony and the project is now at the design and surveying phase. The dam is meant to ensure adequate water supply to the growing population in areas surrounding Papar, particularly Kota Kinabalu and Penampang.
"Although we have the Babagon dam and water treatment plants in Tuaran and Beaufort, those are inadequate. If the Papar dam is not built, then the water problem will persist," Anthony said.
But Yong reminded the state government that the Water Department had cancelled the Tawau and Lahad Datu dam projects the day Amarjit took office as its director.
"The minister has to explain such inconsistencies in decision-making," he added.
On Anthony's statement that Amarjit's appointment as director was lawful, Yong said the matter was for the courts to decide.