6 Common Household Items That Can Make You Sick
Catch yourself constantly getting sick but not sure why? Ever thought that maybe it’s because of the cleanliness of your home?
Even though you’re vacuuming frequently and wiping down your shelves, you might be missing out on the actual culprits. Here are some common household items that may be affecting your health.
Carpets are a breeding ground for up to 4,000 times more bacteria than your toilet. Based on a Reader’s Digest report, an average of 20,000 bacteria live in each square inch of your carpet.
Since you shed an insane amount of skin that turn into dust, there’s no doubt that carpets collect a lot of dust. Thus, the chances for an allergy attack are high.
Dust can trigger your asthma attack. A weekly vacuum session can only do so much. Consider hiring cleaning experts to get your carpets professionally cleaned.
2. Chopping blocks
No matter how many times you wash your chopping block, it’ll never be properly “cleaned”. It comes into contact with many food products that get stuck in the cuts and grooves of your chopping block.
It is definitely a breeding ground for germs, but most of the bacteria are not harmful to you. However, if you do have a weak immune system, there is a chance of getting food poisoning.
A useful tip is to separate your chopping blocks to avoid cross contamination. Don’t cut your fruits and vegetables on the same block that you use for raw meat.
Your pillow affects your health as it is one of the dirtiest things in your bedroom. So, the next time you decide to put your pillow on your face, think again.
Pillows contain dust mites, skin cells, body secretions and maybe even dead bugs. Besides that, they are a breeding ground for super bugs that may cause skin infection. If you do not change your pillows regularly, you’ll end up sleeping with germs and bacteria.
4. Toothbrush holders
In any wet environment, there is a risk of mould growth. It is important to make sure that your toothbrush holder stays dry to prevent any mould growing on it.
If you are exposed to too much mould or if you accidentally ingest it while brushing your teeth, it can cause harm to your health.
Mould can cause respiratory problems, eye and skin infections. Reaction to mould can be more severe for those of you who have allergies.
5. Kitchen sponges
You’ve all read articles about kitchen sponges being one of the dirtiest household items. You may even be surprised that something that cleans can be so dirty but it actually makes sense because while it’s cleaning off dirty scraps it is accumulating germs on itself.
If not disinfected properly, you’re just spreading more germs and bacteria on your “clean” dishes and risking food poisoning.
6. Remote controls
One of the most touched household items is the remote control. Studies shown that you’ll find E Coli on your remote. Everyone in your house is bound to hold the remote control.
It’s not only a breeding ground for bacteria, they’re probably having a party on your remote. So be sure to wipe your remote frequently with disinfectant.
It is important to be aware of the hidden danger in your home. There are many breeding grounds for germs and bacteria.
Keeping your house clean is the best way to insure that you and your family can stay healthy. It takes regular good deep cleaning sessions to get your house in tip top shape.
SIGN UP NEWSLETTER